A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation
Introducing the ultimate tribute to Apple innovation and design.
With a breathtaking collection of unique photography, Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation takes the reader on a tour of the most visually stunning and important products produced by the world's most innovative company — Apple. Follow Apple's journey through a photographic collection of their most important desktops, portables, peripherals, prototypes, iDevices (iPad, iPod and iPhone) and packaging.
Iconic uses vivid color and detail to document Apple's journey in design, form and function — and looks back at over 35 years of Apple innovation. Four years in the making, the author captured over 150,000 photos of nearly every product Apple has made, including rare prototypes and even packaging. Complementing the photography are forewords and essays from an impressive group of luminaries, commentators and influencers in the Apple community. See the progression of more than three decades of product design that has made Apple the brand it is today.
- Desktops : See the most important desktop machines, from the Apple 1 to the sleek ultra-thin 2012 iMac.
- Portables : From the first Macintosh Portable that weighed in at 16 pounds, to the incredibly thin MacBook Air, see how Apple has consistently driven innovation in the portable computing industry.
- Peripherals : Did you know that Apple once made printers? Digital cameras? Joysticks? Their product range today is vastly simplified and streamlined, but this chapter lets you browse through a myriad of peripherals that Apple brought us in the early years, giving insight into their early visual and design thinking.
- iDevices : From the groundbreaking first generation iPod to the iPhone 5 and iPad mini, see how the iPod, iPad and iPhone line up have evolved over the past 10 years. (We went to print in June 2013 so we just missed the 5c and 5s ;)
- Prototypes : Stunning photography of engineering prototypes from the personal collections of Apple enthusiasts around the world that give us a glimpse into how many of Apple's products began.
- Packaging : No other company puts as much thought, attention and love into how their products are packaged. This chapter will show you why unboxing an Apple product is still a unique experience.
Each chapter begins with an introduction by a contributor who has been a part of the Apple community, written in their own unique style and highlighting their rich and personal history with the company and it's products. Iconic also features two forewords by two of the most highly respected figures in the industry today - Steve Wozniak and Jim Dalrymple.
Creating a book about Apple products meant using the best materials available to produce something beautiful, and so Iconic has been self-published with the highest quality materials possible. With a landscape form factor measuring 12" X 9.625", Iconic was printed on 105 lb. GoldEast matte paper. The dust jacket was printed on 105 lb. art gloss w/ film lamination and the endpapers printed on 95 lb. white woodfree, plain white paper. Iconic is Smyth sewn-bound, cased-in, with a square back and head/tail bands. The case materials used were Slate Blue binding cloth (Classic Edition and Classic Plus Edition) and General Roll Leaf Lustrofoil "Silver S5" (Special Edition).
And for the true Apple enthusiasts, we've created Iconic: The Special Edition.
- A Corvon® Metal-X cover giving a metal-like finish with a rich, lustrous covering material.
- An 'Alpha' black slipcase with foil stamping - a synthetic leather cover material from Ecological Fibers Inc that brings timeless quality via state-of-the-art technology with strength and flexibility. It's composition is a non-woven backing with polyurethane coating.
- A custom form fit book case with a design to celebrate the vintage computing retro form factor of the late 70s and early 80s.
- A single original 8.5" x 11" fine print on Canson Platine Fine Art paper, and signed letter of authenticity from the author.
- Limited quantities available.
Created as a tribute to the army of engineers, designers, product managers, and visionaries that navigated Apple through this incredible journey, Iconic is the ultimate coffee table book for every Apple fan, and the perfect gift for any Apple owner who ever wanted to explore and discover the true roots of their favorite iMac, iPod, iPad, or iPhone.
Iconic and Ridgewood Publishing are not affiliated with, endorsed by or connected to Apple® Inc.
Apple, Mac, iPhone, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc..